Thursday, May 01, 2014

Flying a Plane

       For those of you who don't know, I very unexpectedly joined the Civil Air Patrol in early March. The Civil Air Patrol is the official auxiliary of the US Air Force. It has three missions: Aerospace Education, Emergency Services (like Search and Rescue), and Cadet Programs. It was started in World War II when the civilians wanted to help defend the country. You should read the rest. It's really interesting.  Ben was supposed to be the only one to join. He came home from the first meeting he attended and was talking about all the interesting things he'd learned. I wanted to go just to see what it was like and before I knew it, I said, "Sure. I'll join." If there's an opportunity, take it, right?
       A great challenge in my life (as well as in the CAP) has been getting fit. I never had the motivation. Well, I think I've got it now. I have decided that I don't want to stay a Cadet Airman Basic for the rest of my time in CAP and physical fitness is the only thing that is keeping me from ranking up... Whew! So as you can see, it has a pretty good influence on me. I would totally recommend joining a squadron.
       When you join the Civil Air Patrol you get five orientation flights. Five on a single engine plane and five in a glider. I took my first o-flight last Saturday. It was the most fun and terrifying thing I have ever done. There are a ton of checklists that you have to go through to make sure everything is ready for a safe flight. Reading the list off was the easy part. After I was up in the air and the controls were mine, things got a little harder. All in all, it was amazing and next time, I will definitely bring my camera up with me. For now, here is a picture Mommy took of me while I was checking the fuel for dirt and/or water.


This weekend I am going on a trip (with the squadron) to Charleston, SC. We will be sleeping on the USS Yorktown. It will be fun and I am excited. Don't worry, I will be sure and bring my camera. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think!