Monday, October 17, 2011

Story

For English class I had to write a creative story of being marooned on a island for three years. I got it back and !!100%!! First 100% on a writing assignment this year! To celebrate we got Slushies! :D Here it is! Enjoy the suspense.


Marooned
March 21st, 2010
            I wasn’t going to use this journal, but since I’ve got nothing to do except stay alive, I might as well. Maybe someday after I die on this abominable island, some random person will find it and use it for a fire starter. If just by chance he/she picks this up and starts reading, I’d better introduce myself and tell a little about me. My name is Rachel Patrick. I’m nineteen years old. I grew up on a farm in Florida. I’ve always wanted to go to Fiji and three days ago I was on my way. I was sailing on the Glory when I overheard four sailors talking about murdering the captain. When I realized what they were talking about, I turned to go tell someone, but one of them spotted me through the half-open door. I tried to run, but the water happened to be choppy that day and I fell. They pinned me to the wall and demanded to know what I heard. I told them I had heard enough. I don’t know whether it would have helped if I had lied, but I wish I did! They started to discuss what they were going to do with me. After several minutes in discussion, one sailor took the key to my stateroom where my German Shepherd puppy, Macy, and I slept, and left while another started doing something with a lifeboat. The one who left brought back my suitcase. That’s when it dawned on me what they were going to do. I tried to escape, but it was all in vain. I told them that if they were going to set me adrift, they should give me my dog because she would only be a nuisance to them. At that, three sailors left. One returned with Macy, another with enough food and water to last us both for at least a week, and the last returned with some blankets. They then put us adrift, and that was the last I saw that boat. I fell asleep on the lifeboat, presumably from exhaustion, and when I woke up, I was on this island.
            March 25th, 2010
            Lately, Macy and I have been exploring the little island we are stuck on. Yesterday, my mind finally began to comprehend that I will probably never see anyone again. I have been living under the lifeboat I have flipped over. Considering the circumstances, I think I’m doing well. I found a first-aid kit and some other supplies. The solar flash light is very convenient. I also happened to have a Leatherman in my suitcase. One of the sailors had been thoughtful enough to put some hooks and tackle in the lifeboat before they sent me off. I know I have enough food for a few weeks, but after that I wonder what will become of me. It’s too bad there’s no cell phone signal here.
            April 2nd, 2010
            I’m planning on walking straight through the forest today.
            April 11th, 2010
            The forest is so big that I had to turn back. So far I’ve only seen a few birds. I made a new friend, Tookie the baby Toucan. I found him in a nest on the ground covered in moss. He follows me where ever I go. Yesterday, I kicked a coconut around, and when it broke, I fed half of it to Macy, and half of it to Tookie. An older Toucan was picking on Tookie so Macy killed it and we had it for lunch. After lunch, we went fishing. For about 20 feet out, it’s only three feet deep. I found a crab to use for bait after a few minutes of digging. I caught a few fish and salted them with the salt I collected from the sea water. The fish are about the size of a large squirrel.
            May 19th, 2010
            Tookie has started flying. He is zooming back and forth and all over the place.
            July 28th, 2012
            I’ve built a hut for myself since I’m sure I’m never going to get off this island. I completed it a few months ago, but during the move I lost this journal. That’s why I haven’t written. I really don’t think it’s even a hut. It’s more of a small house. I just kept adding on to it. I made it out of coconut palm branches. The saw in the Leatherman has been very handy over the years. Macy and Tookie are both well. I think the three of us have lost considerable weight.  We’re going to have to work harder for food. I know without them I never would have made it this long. I wonder if I’ll live to be 25.
            September 24th, 2012
            I don’t know what to say. I thought I saw a light east of the island. I know it was east because the sun was setting on the other side of the island when I saw it. It must have just been my imagination.
            February 16th, 2013
            I was thinking of a song I learned before I set sail for Fiji: Swing low, sweet chariot comin’ for to carry me home. Swing low, sweet chariot comin’ for to carry me home. I wish there was a chariot comin’ to take me home.

            February 18th, 2013
            A plane crashed on the island! I’m going to see if anyone survived.
            February 19th, 2013
            It had four passengers, three of which survived. They are Australian with the awesome accents and everything! It’s so nice to see and talk with someone human again.They have a satellite phone!
            February 21st, 2013
            We got contact with a ship!!!
            February 22nd, 2013
            We were rescued by a cruise ship. It was sad leaving Tookie behind, but I thought it would be better for him in the long run. Macy on the other hand, is lying beside me at this moment as I write. I’m finally on my way home. This free cruise is nice! After nearly three years on the island, I can’t wait to see my friends and family again!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! That was a great story! Keep writing Leigha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi I'm Mary one of bebashy's friends good job

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Yeah real good l

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment and tell me what you think!